A beautiful 9th century town in Spain lies completely empty nearly 60 years after it was abandoned by mistake.
Across Europe many enchanting old towns and villages have been left for ruin over the centuries, to be taken over by flora and fauna once the last person has left.
In most cases small settlements in rural areas are left behind due to a lack of jobs, becoming ghost towns as people head for the big cities.
The case of Granadilla is certainly different, and arguably much sadder than this.
The town is located in Extremadura in the centre-west of the country and was founded by Muslims in the 9th century.
During the Middle Ages Granadilla boomed and became the main town in an area which included 17 other towns and villages.
In 1950, more than a millennium after it was first founded, a thousand people lived in Granadilla, many of them farmers working the land outside its walls.
Just 14 years later, every single one of them had left.
The reason they all upped sticks was because of Fransisco Franco, the dictator of Spain at the time who decided to build the Gabriel y Galán reservoir, writes the Piggy Traveller.
Granadilla was declared a ‘flood zone’ and five years later government officials arrived in the town and told locals that it now belonged to the state - rendering those who lived their squatters.
While many left straight away, those who stayed were forced to rent the homes they used to own.
As the reservoir - which was the largest of a series designed to boost Spain's economy during a period of forced international isolation - filled up, roads to the town began to be cut off.
When the water level reached its highest point Granadilla became a peninsular, cut off aside from one route.
However, the town itself was never flooded, in no small part due to the fact that Granadilla is higher than the dam itself.
Most Recent Articles
- Dec 2, 2022 Multiple New World Records are Set in Poster Auctions International's Rare Posters Auction, Nov. 13 by Dinesh Kumar
- Dec 2, 2022 5 Reasons to Hire a Retro Jukebox for Your Next Event by Laurie Hekeik
- Dec 2, 2022 There is an unseen smuggling operation between fiction and reality by IsabellaDavis2021
- Dec 2, 2022 How 'Worthsplaining' Is Impacting Your Wellbeing – And How To Stop by IsabellaDavis2021
- Dec 1, 2022 Bruneau & Co's Online-Only Historic Arms & Militaria Auction will be Held on Saturday, December 10th by Dinesh Kumar
Most Viewed Articles
- 2571 hits Activate www.youtube.com/activate on Roku and Kodi Platform by rokucomlinkhelp
- 2183 hits sling tv sound but no picture by elisabeth warner
- 1531 hits Yotta new game : Mafia City 'Clan Is Family, Family Backs One Another' by Asuna xing
- 1471 hits 2 Important Points to Consider When Hiring to a Family Photographer by William Smith
- 1385 hits Concediti ogni secondo mentre sei in discoteca a Barcellona by NANCY SMITH
In today’s competitive world, one must be knowledgeable about the latest online business that works effectively through seo services....
Are you caught in between seo companies introduced by a friend, researched by you, or advertised by a particular site? If that is the...
Facebook, the best and most used social app in the world, has all the social features you need. However, one feature is missing. You cannot chat...
Walmart is being sued by a customer alleging racial discrimination. The customer who has filed a lawsuit against the retailer claims that it...
HP Officejet Pro 8600 is the best printer to fulfill the high-volume printing requirements. It supports the top quality printer which can satisfy...