Being charged with a crime can have you fighting for your reputation and sometimes even your liberty. A criminal conviction can damage your personal and professional reputation. A charge or conviction can even stop you travelling to some countries because you fail their character requirements. Police will investigate an allegation and charge an accused if they form the view that the evidence supports the charge.
Police don’t always get it right, nobody does. Not everyone who reports to police gives them the right information, sometimes by accident and sometimes people deliberately make false claims to trigger an investigation and charges. An example would be wrongfully accusing someone of family violence or sexually assaulting a child in the context of family law proceedings. Allegations of this type can have lifechanging consequences.
You will most likely find out about criminal allegations when the police contact either by way of arrest or an invitation to have a chat or give them your version. They might make you believe that you “have” to make a statement.
The most important thing to remember is “Don’t go it alone” Dealing with a police investigation is serious stuff. They know what they are looking for and most people do not. There is always a risk that you might say too much, resulting in admissions and possible further charges.
The first thing, even before your talk to police, is contact one of the best criminal lawyers in Sydney. Things that will help your lawyer help you are:
- Any paperwork associated with charges, bail, court etc;
- A copy of any AVO;
- Your timeline of what you believe has occurred – your version;
- Gather any records that could relate the case, such as email, letters, or documents that show where you were at the time of the incident. Think about whether there is any CCTV available. Evidence like this can be lost quite quickly as people recycle storage space; and
- A list of possible witnesses whom you think they have the information about the event and try to obtain their contact numbers.
- Approach the complainant at all or try to talk to them about the case;
- Speak to the police without first speaking to your lawyer;
- Consent to testing or provide any evidence without consulting the criminal lawyers Sydney; and
- Never destroy any evidence that you think it will hurt you, that can end badly and potentially lead to further charges.
You might have a claim for costs against the prosecutor/police if you are found not guilty and can demonstrate on a balance that the police acted unreasonably in their investigation or failed to investigate reasonably.
One of the most crucial steps you have to take is to protect your legal rights by seeking advice from the Sydney criminal defence lawyers. Your lawyer will guide you through the process.
The author is one of the most skilled criminal lawyers in Sydney. Along with his team of professional lawyers, he provides his clients with a unique, tailored plan according to their needs. Visit https://www.nationalcriminallawyers.com.au for more details.
Article source: https://article-realm.com/article/Business/3116-Charged-with-Something-I-Didn-t-Do.html
Most Recent Articles
- Mar 28, 2023 Contact QuickBooks Support Number for Hassle-free Accounting by Alexa Parker
- Mar 28, 2023 Immunoassay Market on the Rise: Expected to Hit $49.6 Billion by 2027 by Healthcare News
- Mar 28, 2023 Discover Free DXF Files For Creating Best Hand Crafted Unique DXF Designs by DXFforCNC
- Mar 28, 2023 Tunnel Metal Detector Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2029 by faraz pathan
- Mar 28, 2023 Material Handling Rollers Market to see Rapid Growth by 2029 by faraz pathan
Most Viewed Articles
- 7446 hits How to Download and Install Facebook Messenger on Firestick by Hope Mikaelson
- 6835 hits How to Start an Invention Idea by Edwin Poul
- 1694 hits Brief discussion about Water by kavin prasath
- 1684 hits Importance of Proofreading While You Write an Assignment by clara
- 1312 hits Everything About Garmin Express by Maria Cooper
In today’s competitive world, one must be knowledgeable about the latest online business that works effectively through seo services....
Are you caught in between seo companies introduced by a friend, researched by you, or advertised by a particular site? If that is the...
Facebook, the best and most used social app in the world, has all the social features you need. However, one feature is missing. You cannot chat...
Walmart is being sued by a customer alleging racial discrimination. The customer who has filed a lawsuit against the retailer claims that it...
HP Officejet Pro 8600 is the best printer to fulfill the high-volume printing requirements. It supports the top quality printer which can satisfy...