It is normal to have a dry mouth occasionally when you are dehydrated or feeling nervous. But, a persistent dry mouth indicates an underlying problem. Dry mouth is more prevalent among seniors than adults. Consult your Blacktown dentists if you have a dry mouth that doesn’t go away.
What Is Dry Mouth?
Lack of saliva can lead to dry mouth. Individuals with dry mouth do not have enough saliva to keep the mouth wet. Our mouth needs saliva to work properly. It’s the saliva that helps to keep the mouth moist, break down, and swallow food. In fact, saliva acts a cleanser and washes out tooth-decay and gum disease-causing bacteria. In short, saliva helps to keep the mouth clean and bacteria at bay.
What Causes Dry Mouth?
Several reasons causes dry mouth, and possible causes include:-
Many medications cause dry mouth, including decongestants, hypertensive medications, muscle relaxants, antihistamines, and a number of antidepressants.
Of course, dry mouth is not a part of aging. Seniors tend to take more medicines than the rest of the population and certain medications they take can dry their mouth.
Smoking and chewing tobacco increase the risk of dry mouth symptoms.
Dehydration can also cause dry mouth, and it is caused by lack of sufficient fluids.
Certain health conditions can cause dry mouth and poorly controlled diabetes is one of them. When your blood sugar levels are high or low than they should be, it can lead to various issues, including dry mouth.
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Dry Mouth?
People experiencing dry mouth might experience some or all of the following symptoms:-
- Frequent thirst without any physical activity
- Dry feeling in the mouth
- Difficulty speaking, chewing, and swallowing
- A diminished sense of taste
- Chapped and cracked lips
- Persistent bad breath that doesn’t go away
- Dry corners of the mouth
- White tongue indicative of fungal infection
- Tooth decay
- Bleeding, red, swollen gums
When to See a Doctor?
Proper diagnosis can help in developing the right treatment plan and management. So, if you notice persistent dry mouth signs, make an appointment with emergency dentist Blacktown. When the dry mouth is diagnosed, the dentist will determine the cause of dry mouth and suggest the best treatment plan to treat the condition. The dentist will examine salivary glands and ducts to check for blockages and measure stimulated and unstimulated salivary flow.
For further queries regarding dry mouth or Blacktown dental problems, please call us today. We are happy to assist you with all your queries.
The author of this article is the best emergency dentist Blacktown. Along with a team of professionals, he offers a range of dental services. Visit https://www.westpointdental.com.au/ for more details.
Most Recent Articles
- Aug 28, 2021 Treatment of diabetes and Erectile dysfunction - About Testogen by Aaisha Khan
- Aug 27, 2021 vidalista 20 mg by hung tache
- Aug 26, 2021 Next Generation Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors and Stimulators Market by Roots Analysis by Michael Doe
- Aug 26, 2021 Human Factors Engineering and Usability Testing Services Market by Roots Analysis by Michael Doe
- Aug 25, 2021 Treat ED and Sensual-Related Issues with Tadarise 20 by Janet Helton
Most Viewed Articles
- 1839 hits Generic Viagra Proving To Be an Effective Solution to Cure Erectile Dysfunction by Guest
- 1068 hits The relationship between erectile dysfunction severity, mean platelet volume and vitamin D levels by John Moses
- 1056 hits Get High Potential Stamina On Bed help of Viagra by Guest
- 875 hits Caverta 100mg Helps You to Overcome Penile Weakness by paul gonzales
- 873 hits Homoeopathy for bad breath by Olivia Sorbet
In today’s competitive world, one must be knowledgeable about the latest online business that works effectively through seo services....
Are you caught in between seo companies introduced by a friend, researched by you, or advertised by a particular site? If that is the...
Facebook, the best and most used social app in the world, has all the social features you need. However, one feature is missing. You cannot chat...
Walmart is being sued by a customer alleging racial discrimination. The customer who has filed a lawsuit against the retailer claims that it...
HP Officejet Pro 8600 is the best printer to fulfill the high-volume printing requirements. It supports the top quality printer which can satisfy...