Erectile dysfunction (ED) is defined as the incapability to develop and/or maintain penile erection, is one of the most common sexual disorders in men. ED is related with advancing age and metabolic syndromes and several cardiovascular risk factors like diabetes mellitus, hypertension and hyperlipidemia.
Vascular ED is the most common among the organic forms of ED, and it is mostly caused by primary atherosclerosis and/or endothelial dysfunction. ED is considered as a first sign of cardiovascular diseases that can identify individuals at an augmented risk of atherosclerotic cardiac disease. Platelets, a component of human blood, play an important role in the pathophysiology of atherothrombosis. Mean platelet volume (MPV) is commonly used to predict the functional alterations and activation of platelets. MPV levels might go up in various cardiovascular diseases, peripheral artery disease, and cerebrovascular diseases. Furthermore, MPV is related to various heart conditions like smoking, obesity, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, coronary artery disease, metabolic syndrome, statin and anti-hypertensive use, atrial fibrillation and systemic inflammation, thyroid diseases, diabetes mellitus and alcohol use. Despite the recognized role of vitamin D in bone and calcium metabolism, its deficit has become more prevalent in recent years. Low 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels are also associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular diseases. It is believed that suboptimal vitamin D levels affect the risk of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease as well as lead to the development of conditions like hypertension, diabetes, inflammation and endothelial dysfunction, which are predominant vascular risk factors. Also, low vitamin D levels may contribute to the development of ED like heart diseases by causing endothelial dysfunction, inflammation, reduced glucose homeostasis and atherosclerosis. Recently, it has been revealed that MPV and 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels are negatively connected.
This study was done to assess the relationship between mean platelet volume (MPV) and vitamin D levels as per ED severity.
A retrospective review of ED patients who applied to the andrology outpatient clinic was done.
The International Erectile Function Index-Erectile Function (IIEF-EF) questionnaire was used to measure the level of erectile function.
As per this scoring system, patients were divided into two groups.
- IIEF score: between 17 and 25 = mild ED (Group 1)
- IIEF score between 16 and 0 = moderate-severe ED (Group 2)
Blood samples were taken from antecubital vein and MPV and 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels were evaluated.
In total, 90 patients were included in the study. These were randomized to Group 1 (n = 41) and Group 2 (n = 49). MPV levels were significantly greater in Group 2 (p = 0.001). IIEF-EF scores and 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels were positively correlated and a negative correlation was noted between IIEF-EF scores and MPV and between 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and MPV levels.
Significant positive correlation between ED severity and 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and a significant negative correlation between ED severity and MPV levels was noted.
Buy Sildenafil Citrate 100 mg from Best Online Pharmacy Genericviagrakart.com
Article source: https://article-realm.com/article/Health-and-Fitness/170-The-relationship-between-erectile-dysfunction-severity-mean-platelet-volume-and-vitamin-D-levels.html
Most Recent Articles
- Mar 28, 2023 There are different approaches to overseeing utilizing tone and shape by Misha Jain
- Mar 28, 2023 Everclear alcohol 190 proof & Everclear proof 151: Brand High Quality Alcohol by Extractohol
- Mar 28, 2023 Global Sternal closure systems market Size, Overview, Key Players and Forecast 2028 by shraddhas
- Mar 28, 2023 Buy Fildena 50 Mg Pill | Secure + Ultimate Offer | Reviews.. by tabsvalley
- Mar 28, 2023 Global Rotator Cuff Injury Treatment Market Size, Overview, Key Players and Forecast 2028 by shraddhas
- Mar 28, 2023 Global Population Health Management Market Size, Overview, Key Players and Forecast 2028 by shraddhas
- Mar 28, 2023 Global Personal Emergency Response Systems Market Size, Overview, Key Players and Forecast 2028 by shraddhas
- Mar 28, 2023 Global Optometry Market Size, Overview, Key Players and Forecast 2028 by shraddhas
- Mar 28, 2023 Global Medical Equipment Maintenance Market Size, Overview, Key Players and Forecast 2028 by shraddhas
- Mar 28, 2023 Global Homecare Oxygen Concentrators Market Size, Overview, Key Players and Forecast 2028 by shraddhas
Most Viewed Articles
- 2259 hits Generic Viagra Proving To Be an Effective Solution to Cure Erectile Dysfunction by Guest
- 1422 hits The relationship between erectile dysfunction severity, mean platelet volume and vitamin D levels by John Moses
- 1399 hits Get High Potential Stamina On Bed help of Viagra by Guest
- 1288 hits Caverta 100mg Helps You to Overcome Penile Weakness by paul gonzales
- 1284 hits Homoeopathy for bad breath by Olivia Sorbet
- 1241 hits What Are Uterine Fibroids? by nisse lind
- 1151 hits Natural Factors Canada Supplements: The Best Means to Boost Your Health by NANCY SMITH
- 1075 hits Natural Factors Canada Supplements: The Best Way to Boost Your Energy Levels by NANCY SMITH
- 1065 hits Silagra 100mg -An effective medicine to treat ED by paul gonzales
- 1044 hits 12 Best Waist Trimmer Belt in 2019 (Review & Guide) by Narayanan Logesh
In today’s competitive world, one must be knowledgeable about the latest online business that works effectively through seo services....
Are you caught in between seo companies introduced by a friend, researched by you, or advertised by a particular site? If that is the...
Facebook, the best and most used social app in the world, has all the social features you need. However, one feature is missing. You cannot chat...
Walmart is being sued by a customer alleging racial discrimination. The customer who has filed a lawsuit against the retailer claims that it...
HP Officejet Pro 8600 is the best printer to fulfill the high-volume printing requirements. It supports the top quality printer which can satisfy...