Erectile dysfunction (ED) is defined as the incapability to develop and/or maintain penile erection, is one of the most common sexual disorders in men. ED is related with advancing age and metabolic syndromes and several cardiovascular risk factors like diabetes mellitus, hypertension and hyperlipidemia.
Vascular ED is the most common among the organic forms of ED, and it is mostly caused by primary atherosclerosis and/or endothelial dysfunction. ED is considered as a first sign of cardiovascular diseases that can identify individuals at an augmented risk of atherosclerotic cardiac disease. Platelets, a component of human blood, play an important role in the pathophysiology of atherothrombosis. Mean platelet volume (MPV) is commonly used to predict the functional alterations and activation of platelets. MPV levels might go up in various cardiovascular diseases, peripheral artery disease, and cerebrovascular diseases. Furthermore, MPV is related to various heart conditions like smoking, obesity, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, coronary artery disease, metabolic syndrome, statin and anti-hypertensive use, atrial fibrillation and systemic inflammation, thyroid diseases, diabetes mellitus and alcohol use. Despite the recognized role of vitamin D in bone and calcium metabolism, its deficit has become more prevalent in recent years. Low 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels are also associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular diseases. It is believed that suboptimal vitamin D levels affect the risk of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease as well as lead to the development of conditions like hypertension, diabetes, inflammation and endothelial dysfunction, which are predominant vascular risk factors. Also, low vitamin D levels may contribute to the development of ED like heart diseases by causing endothelial dysfunction, inflammation, reduced glucose homeostasis and atherosclerosis. Recently, it has been revealed that MPV and 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels are negatively connected.
This study was done to assess the relationship between mean platelet volume (MPV) and vitamin D levels as per ED severity.
A retrospective review of ED patients who applied to the andrology outpatient clinic was done.
The International Erectile Function Index-Erectile Function (IIEF-EF) questionnaire was used to measure the level of erectile function.
As per this scoring system, patients were divided into two groups.
- IIEF score: between 17 and 25 = mild ED (Group 1)
- IIEF score between 16 and 0 = moderate-severe ED (Group 2)
Blood samples were taken from antecubital vein and MPV and 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels were evaluated.
In total, 90 patients were included in the study. These were randomized to Group 1 (n = 41) and Group 2 (n = 49). MPV levels were significantly greater in Group 2 (p = 0.001). IIEF-EF scores and 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels were positively correlated and a negative correlation was noted between IIEF-EF scores and MPV and between 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and MPV levels.
Significant positive correlation between ED severity and 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and a significant negative correlation between ED severity and MPV levels was noted.
Buy Sildenafil Citrate 100 mg from Genericviagrakart.com
Most Recent Articles
- May 11, 2020 What to expect during Routine Dental Checkup? by Joshua Su
- May 4, 2020 How Can Medical Detoxification Help You? by Morgan Ortiz
- Apr 30, 2020 Epilepsy Monitoring Devices Market Set for Rapid Growth and Trend, by 2027 by Pooja
- Apr 30, 2020 Varicose Vein Treatment Market to Witness Widespread Expansion by 2027 by Pooja
- Apr 30, 2020 Virus Filtration Market Outlook, Trend, Growth and Share Estimation Analysis by Pooja
Most Viewed Articles
- 1513 hits Generic Viagra Proving To Be an Effective Solution to Cure Erectile Dysfunction by Guest
- 790 hits Get High Potential Stamina On Bed help of Viagra by Guest
- 525 hits Military Women, Health Care Access, Fake News: Undergraduates’ Career Plans by Smithsson
- 514 hits Homoeopathy for bad breath by Olivia Sorbet
- 487 hits A Bright Healthy Smile Can Be your Visit Dental Implants Wilmington DE Today by Dr. Sam Khoury
In today’s competitive world, one must be knowledgeable about the latest online business that works effectively through seo services....
Are you caught in between seo companies introduced by a friend, researched by you, or advertised by a particular site? If that is the...
Walmart is being sued by a customer alleging racial discrimination. The customer who has filed a lawsuit against the retailer claims that it...
L'arte del tatuaggio maori e i tatuaggi Maori tradizionali sono estremamente unici; questi rigorosi tatuaggi Maori tradizionali hanno la loro...
Generic Viagra is an effective medicine for treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED) or male impotence. It is a generic equivalent of Viagra. Both...