Have you noticed an unusual lack of feeling or difficulty with movement in your hand after an injury? This may be a symptom of nerve damage to one of your hand's three major nerves: the radial nerve, ulnar nerve, and median nerve. If the problem persists, you may need nerve repair surgery performed by an orthopedic surgeon in Colorado Springs CO in your hand. Surgery may restore or improve movement, sensation, or both. Here’s what you need to know about how the nerve damage in your hand can be repaired.
How Do I Know If I Have Nerve Damage in My Hand?
Before you start thinking about nerve repair surgery in the hand, you’ll want to confirm that you’re really dealing with nerve damage. Nerve damage usually occurs after an accident or injury. If your hand suffered a deep cut or was crushed by something, it may have incurred nerve damage. This is common after car accidents, for example.
Your family doctor will examine your hand and give you a diagnosis. That being said, there are specific symptoms of hand nerve pain that you should watch for and tell your doctor about, such as:
- Numbness in part of the hand
- Unusual lack of strength in the hand
- Trouble moving the hand or part of the hand
- Limited range of motion in the hand
When you tell your doctor about these symptoms, they will perform a series of tests on your hand. They will test your nerves to find out which are affected and how badly. It may only be the myelin sheath around your nerve that is affected, or the nerve could be cut completely.
How is Hand Nerve Damage Treated?
The treatment your hand needs depends on the severity and type of damage the nerve sustained. While mild nerve damage may heal on its own, moderate and severe nerve damage will need surgery to be corrected.
Ideally, you would get surgery immediately after your hand nerve damage has been diagnosed. However, if your nerve damage is the result of a severe injury, you may have to wait for your injuries to heal before you can receive surgery. That is for your safety, as having surgery when you’re not in a stable condition is very dangerous.
Once surgery can be performed, your surgeon will determine which type you need. You may need end-to-end approximation, grafting, or conduits. These surgeries all shorten the gap between your disconnected nerves so that they can grow together again. The type of surgery you need will depend on how far apart your nerve’s two ends are.
Both of our expert surgeons who deal with hand nerve damage, Dale Cassidy, MD, MBA, and Jeffery T. Watson, MD, believe in keeping their patients fully informed about the specific procedure they will use to repair their hand. They can tell you which nerve repair surgery in the hand you’ll receive, why it’s your best option, and what kind of results you can expect from your nerve repair surgery in your hand.
If you have hand nerve damage, contact one of our best orthopedic surgeons in Colorado Springs for an appointment. Call 719-632-7669.
The author of this article is a leading orthopedic surgeon in Colorado Springs with over a decade of experience in the industry. In this article, he lists the reasons behind hand nerve damage and how it can be treated. Visit https://www.csog.net/ for more information.
Most Recent Articles
- May 28, 2020 Body Sculpting Treatment Clinic Sydney by BIObiobeautyinsideout
- May 27, 2020 How to Get Rid of Cellulite – A Problem in Recent Decades by Ali Haghnegahdar
- May 27, 2020 Organic Skin Care is Always a Better Option! by Jeri Fujen
- May 25, 2020 How Can I Speed Up The Healing Process Of Wisdom Teeth Removal? by Will Sievier
- May 24, 2020 Reasons why Bowral Doctors suggest Mums to join Mothers Group during the Pandemic! by Ono Alex-Ohunyon
Most Viewed Articles
- 1519 hits Generic Viagra Proving To Be an Effective Solution to Cure Erectile Dysfunction by Guest
- 792 hits Get High Potential Stamina On Bed help of Viagra by Guest
- 762 hits The relationship between erectile dysfunction severity, mean platelet volume and vitamin D levels by John Moses
- 528 hits Military Women, Health Care Access, Fake News: Undergraduates’ Career Plans by Smithsson
- 514 hits Homoeopathy for bad breath by Olivia Sorbet
In today’s competitive world, one must be knowledgeable about the latest online business that works effectively through seo services....
Are you caught in between seo companies introduced by a friend, researched by you, or advertised by a particular site? If that is the...
Walmart is being sued by a customer alleging racial discrimination. The customer who has filed a lawsuit against the retailer claims that it...
L'arte del tatuaggio maori e i tatuaggi Maori tradizionali sono estremamente unici; questi rigorosi tatuaggi Maori tradizionali hanno la loro...
Generic Viagra is an effective medicine for treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED) or male impotence. It is a generic equivalent of Viagra. Both...