Are you the type of person that slathers on lip balm throughout the day, almost as a reflexive habit? The kind who only uses it occasionally, when your lips are cracked into oblivion and close to bleeding? Or the type who avoids it judiciously because you once heard it actually makes chapped lips worse? I am the third, which has led me here today.
Is it really true that applying chapstick and other lip balms can cause your lips to become so dependent on those emollients that they “stop moisturizing themselves,” hence starting a vicious cycle of perpetual dryness? The quick answer: Yes, kind of. But it depends. Let’s get into it.
Why lips are so susceptible to dryness
Lip skin is not robust. As board-certified dermatologist Mary L. Stevenson told NBC News Select, “skin on the lips is much thinner and more sensitive than the skin on your arms and legs because it’s meant to help your mouth absorb food.” Add this to the fact that lips have no oil glands to keep them moisturized and protected, which leaves them particularly vulnerable to chapping. While certain autoimmune disorders, medications, allergens, skin conditions like eczema, nutrient deficiencies, dehydration, and habits like excessive lip licking can cause chapped lips, the primary contributor is usually environmental factors such as cold temperatures, dry air, wind, and sun, all of which all stress the delicate skin on your lips.
Original Article Link to read more
Most Recent Articles
- Jun 17, 2022 Does Your Company’s Culture Reinforce Its Strategy and Purpose? by Luke Moore
- Jun 17, 2022 Four science-backed strategies to stop a vicious cycle of self-defeating thoughts by Joseph White
- Jun 17, 2022 Life Hacks to Help Anyone With ADHD—Including Those Who Don’t Have a Diagnosis by Alexander Martin
- Jun 10, 2022 Want to Remember More of What You Read? Do These 4 Things, According to a Linguistics Professor by Mason Walker
- May 29, 2022 Vehicle Tracking System Qatar | CCTV Security Surveillance System Qatar by mary ross
Most Viewed Articles
- 767 hits How to Answer Tricky Questions in Interviews? by Mohammad Azad
- 764 hits Perfectionism ≠ Self-improvement by nisse lind
- 709 hits Five Things You Can Buy for a Dollar To Experience Happiness by Guest
- 642 hits RR com login mail (Toll Free) 866-302-4260 by maria
- 490 hits Cash App Customer Support - Cash App Routing Number by camila smith
In today’s competitive world, one must be knowledgeable about the latest online business that works effectively through seo services....
Are you caught in between seo companies introduced by a friend, researched by you, or advertised by a particular site? If that is the...
Facebook, the best and most used social app in the world, has all the social features you need. However, one feature is missing. You cannot chat...
Walmart is being sued by a customer alleging racial discrimination. The customer who has filed a lawsuit against the retailer claims that it...
HP Officejet Pro 8600 is the best printer to fulfill the high-volume printing requirements. It supports the top quality printer which can satisfy...